10 February 2009

Brain Teaser Challenge - "January"

by Butch Shadwell
Have you ever wanted to be a tap dancer? I hadn’t thought about it much until I saw Michael Flatley and his team in River Dance. It is literally poetry in motion. As I watched the show I could feel the Irish branch of my family tree swaying to the music.
Some of you may recall that I am a bit of a thespian. I have been in over 65 shows including 6 musicals. Though I have done a little tripping over the floor boards, I haven’t ever done any tap. However, I have seen how they mike tap performances. They use a device known as a PZM or pressure zone microphone. This type of mike has a design that limits how much sound is generated by vibration or movement of the microphone assembly itself. There is a small pressure zone sensor that can pick up sounds that are carried from other directions than the mounting structure.
In a condenser microphone element if the increasing sound pressure increases the capacitance, what kind of voltage change is observed on the microphone element as a high pressure wave passes?
Reply to Butch Shadwell at b.shadwell@ieee.org (email)
904-223-4510 (fax)
904-223-4465 (v)
3308 Queen Palm Dr.
Jacksonville, FL 32250-2328.
www.shadtechserv.com
The names of correct respondents may be mentioned in the solution column.

1 comment:

Bill Clayton said...

Dancing to the tune of an Irish jig I pondered the follow poser. In a condenser microphone element if the increasing sound pressure increases the capacitance, what kind of voltage change is observed on the microphone element as a high pressure wave passes?

Whether you are a tap dancer or not everyone knows that the equation for the voltage on a capacitor is Vc = q/C. From the equation it is obvious that as C increases Vc must go lower, for a constant q. But I bet you already knew that.